YOUTH & CHILDREN’S PASTOR
Job Description & Person Specification:
- Full time, 40 hours per week.
- £25000-28000 per year (+pension), dependant on experience and qualifications.
- Job share would be considered for the right people/team (a part time children’s pastor and a part time youth pastor).
- Permanent contract.
- Holiday: 25 days + bank Holidays per year. Time off in Lieu is also recognised for hours worked over and above contracted hours.
- Working hours are flexible but Sunday mornings and some evening and weekend work is essential.
- The role is overseen by the church eldership team leader.
- There is a six month probationary period for the post.
- If you are married, it is expected that as a family you will choose to engage in the life of the church together.
- There is a Genuine Occupational Requirement under Schedule 9, Part 1 of the Equality Act 2010 that the post holder must be an active, committed, evangelical Christian.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
Redeemer Church Chester-le-Street was established as a church in January 2020, after having been a congregation of another church for the previous three years. Redeemer’s vision is to ‘Revel in Jesus, restore lives and revive communities’. We are an evangelical, charismatic church who deeply prize both the word of God and the presence of God. Redeemer currently meets in a secondary school but plans to have a meeting and office base in a community building on the Gainford estate from 2022.
We are looking for someone to take responsibility for leadership of the children’s and youth work in the church. The role will be principally weighted (around two-thirds) to work with young people aged 11-18, but a part of the role (around one-third) will be to oversee the work with children aged 3-10. The purpose is to both develop and grow the existing work with the approximately 40 children and young people in the church and to pioneer our work with children and young people who do not currently have connections with the church.
- Develop, oversee and administrate our work on Sunday mornings with the children and young people within the church already.
- Recruit, manage, equip, and release the Sunday morning volunteer team of children and youth workers, and play a regular part in leading and teaching in the groups.
- Coordinate and potentially lead six ‘all age’ church services per year.
- Start midweek late afternoon/evening youth clubs – accessible to children in both the church and the community.
- Develop and oversee a one-to-one discipleship programme for children in the church aged 11+.
- Connect with the alternative education centre (secondary age) that will be running in the same building as the church, providing pathways for the children and their families to engage with church.
- Establish relationships with local schools and seek opportunities to bring the good news of Jesus into them; this may include participating in enrichment activities, providing pastoral support, drops ins and assemblies.
- Help and encourage children and young people to find their God-given gifts, and mentor them into using these within the life of the church.
- Organise and lead occasional evangelistic courses, such as Youth Alpha.
- Ensure all policies in relation to children’s ministry are up to date and volunteer teams are aware of, and working within, best practice.
- Undertake and regularly review Risk Assessments for children and youth activities.
- Link regularly with trustees to ensure that proper insurances and other policies and safeguards are in place for working with children and young people in the church and for outreach sessions.
- Provide timely reports to the elders on the progress of children and young people’s programmes.
- Demonstrate and ensure best practices in safeguarding at all times, liaising with the church’s safeguarding coordinator as appropriate.
- With the support of the church administrator, undertake all other administrative tasks that relate to youth and children’s work in Redeemer.
- Provide events and activities that support the development of young people within the church, such as weekends away and short-term mission trips.
- Explore other opportunities to engage, build relationship and share the gospel with the children, young people and their families in the community within which the church building will be located.
- Play a full and active role in the life of Redeemer Church.
- Engage in whatever ways possible with the wider global family of churches – Regions Beyond – that Redeemer is a part of.
- Any other reasonable duties that are in line with the mission and work of Redeemer Church Chester-le-Street.
Qualifications and work experience
|Experience of working with children and young people in a faith-based/church context.||JNC Level 3 Youth work or higher.|
|Experience in effective communication with parents and partner organisations.||Experience of recruiting and coordinating volunteers.|
|Experience in strategic planning and delivery of strategies.||Experience of detached and/or outreach youth work.|
|Experience in creating syllabus’ for children and/or youth work.||Knowledge of Chester-le-Street and surrounding areas.|
|Experience/training in children’s safeguarding.||Experience of working in partnership with youth organisations|
|A full UK Drivers Licence or some other means of transport, for duties in line with the role.||Minibus licence.|
Personal Qualities (essential)
|An active daily personal devotional life.|
|An evangelical charismatic faith, baptised as a believer.|
|Understand and commit to the vision, values and core doctrinal beliefs of Redeemer Church (these can be found at www.redeemercls.com).|
|Teachable, servant-hearted, and the ability to work with direction and within a vision.|
|A passion for children and young people, to seeing encounter Jesus and grow in their love for him.|
|A good biblical and theological understanding and the ability to communicate this to children and young people.|
To apply: Please send a CV and an application letter (explaining in no more than 500 words why you would like the job and believe you would be suited to it, and including contact details for two references) to Ali Scott at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: 5pm Sunday 7th November 2021.
Interview Date: w/c Monday 22nd November 2021.
Start date: As soon as possible, according to applicant’s availability